[mythtv-users] For Ubuntu/Debian users - how do you know which updates are in a package?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:01:57 UTC 2006

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and the Debian apt system. I more familiar
with RPMs and ebuilds so please excuse my ignorance.

Short question: How would one know if the mythtv package(s) available
have the latest bug fixes available for the release?

Long Question: My myth setup used to be on Gentoo until I had some
hard drive problems and switched to Ubuntu. My system was so old it
and still on a 2.4 kernel. I've been running myth on that box since
January of 2004 which I think was version 0.13 of myth. I was running
0.18 via portage before the move to Ubuntu and it was quite simple to
see which revision of the ebuild and which patches were being applied.

I'd like to be sure before I do the update to 0.19 that I won't be
running into any of bugs that people have been running into such as
the LiveTV problem. Everything for me is working great on 0.18.1 so I
wouldn't have a problem waiting for a new release such as 0.19.1, but
I'm not holding my breath since it's probably so much work to put out
a release. (That and since I've been using myth since 0.13 there has
only ever been one 0.x.1 release)

Should I just build my own package from source + patches? If I'd need
to do that how would I go about putting together all the latest
patches for 0.19?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.