[mythtv-users] For Ubuntu/Debian users - how do you know which updates are in a package?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:44:35 UTC 2006

> There's no easy pre-install method per se. Your best bet is the
> "changelog" file. This is installed along with the package, into
> /usr/share/doc/$PACKAGENAME/changelog.Debian.gz - or can be viewed on
> the web via http://packages.ubuntu.com/$PACKAGENAME - go to a package's
> page, then at the bottom is a link for "Debian Changelog". You may need
> to delete any unneccessary "ubuntu" crap from the URL it proposes.

Thanks. So I guess I would have to download the package first to see
what's different in it? I don't seem to be able to view just the
changelog online.

Would you also happen to know how long until a new release is
typically put online? I don't want to use a 3rd party package if don't
need to. I'm not itching to update but does it typically take a few
weeks or a one or two?

Thanks again.