[mythtv-users] "V" chip

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Feb 27 23:22:14 UTC 2006

On 27-Feb-06, at 4:29 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> "The FCC rules require that if you are selling a digital television
> receiver product you must include this [open V-chip] capability"
>
> If that is correct then I don't see how it will affect the majority of
> MythTV users or developers.

The loaded paragraph is this one:

"The current V-chips recognize the current RRT, which is communicated
as part of the Program and System Information Protocol. Assuming that a
broadcaster could communicate a new ratings system via the PSIP that
both the chip and a TV's software can understand, users could program
the open V-chip with any number of filters that go beyond the general
descriptors of sex, language, and violence used today."

This is potentially the broadcast flag by a different name. Of course,
v-chip can be turned off by the consumer so that would have to change
but something like this puts more the the infrastructure in place for
the networks to control how you watch tv. Or maybe I'm being
paranoid...

- George