[mythtv-users] Please please help me

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Feb 27 23:43:19 UTC 2006

On Feb 27, 2006, at 6:27 PM, N.E.Whiteford wrote:

> For the love of God please someone help me with the myth problem I'm
> having. I've asked this before but the response I've got is "maybe
> it's
> a focus problem", someone suggested I try rat poison, this seems a
> little drastic at this point.
>
> The problem is that after changing channel once mythtvfrontend is
> unresponsive and doesn't let me change channel, tho I can still watch
> tv. The logs and console output show nothing abnormal.
>
> I'd like to do some debugging, but gdb uses up all available memory
> and
> kills the backend when I do this. So can someone give me a few
> tips? Perhaps just tell me which classes deal with responding to
> keyboard events when changing channel and how this is switched off and
> no, then maybe I can add some couts and start debugging?
>
> Please please help I beg you my housemates will force me to install
> windows and I may have to turn to the rat poison after all.

For the love of god, install a window manager. Most people use X
since it's already installed in most distro's. An alternative for a
lightweight window manager is rat poison. Whatever you choose, you
need a window manager to... manage your windows. A window manager
will fix the focus problem you're experiencing (assuming that is the
problem which it does sound like). Sorry you weren't willing to take
the advice last time. Maybe you will this time.