[mythtv-users] best quality capture card for software encoding?

Wander Winkelhorst w.winkelhorst at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:09:56 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, Nick Bartos <spam1001 at 2thebatcave.com> wrote:
> >       I looked into this when I first got my PVR-250.  Concluded that
> > the TV by itself could display higher resolution than the PVR-250 could
> > capture... used homebrew test patterns DVD.  Check the archives for my
> > posts.
>
> I had the same problems with software encoding, and after some discussion
> I think I found my problem.  I was proceeding with the assumption that I
> didn't need deinterlacing at the playback stage, since I was outputting
> directly to a TV.  After I have started messing with deinterlacing the
> playback is much better,

If this is the case, then your problem might be with the way you
output video to your TV rather than the way you capture your video.

A lot of tv-out videocards scale the video up or down to display the
video fullscreen without black borders at the sides. But by scaling up
or down, you mess up the interlacing of the video (odd and even lines
of the video don't match up to the odd and even lines of the TV)
Boards like the VIA eden's can use "noscale" resolutions that will
match your tv line-for-line.