[mythtv-users] New Mac Mini, ultimate MythTV HD frontend?

itsmebcc itsmebcc at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 22:24:42 UTC 2006

>For those with current MacMini's, have you had any luck using it for
>playback of non HD myth tv content. I have a knoppmyth back/frontent
>with .19 and the frontend on my mini stutters and chokes. The
>recordings are PVRx50 at about 5mbps, over gige network. Though the
>mini is only 100, throughput is not the problem. The frontend just
>can't playback the video. On my wifes iMac g5, and my big PowerMac,
>the frontend works fine. What do you current folks do with your mini's
>as frontends? Though I think once it is compiled for intel macs, I may
>sell my current one, and pick up a new one.

I can playback normal content fine.  It is playing back mpg files from a
nexus-s.  I did initially have a stuttering problem, but I played with the
tv playback settings and finally got it to play smoothly with under 50% cpu
utilization.  I will check what those settings are when I get home.  This is
on the .19-fixed release.  And I am sure your network settings are fine, I
have a 802.11b (11mb) wireless thumb drive hooked up to the mini and I am
good to go. I too will be thinking of selling my mini soon I think. I have a
gig of ram in it.