[mythtv-users] Why FireWire makes sense even for those without HDTV displays

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Jan 2 03:17:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 16:25 -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
--snip--
> Or, for that matter, all the ivtv/btvt-related questions; I'd highly
> recommend anyone in the US using cable whose provider supplies a HDTV
> box (which are all FireWire-equipped by FCC mandate) to consider
> switching to it even if it means a few more dollars a month and *even
> if you don't have an HDTV display*. FireWire cards and cables are
> under $10 each at Monoprice.com, Linux has great support for the
> Lucent chipset and others, and my FireWire setup with ATrpms' MythTV
> build was about as plug-and-play as it gets [unlike the HD5000, which
> I still haven't gotten working yet on Fedora Core 4; the directions at
> hd5000.com and elsewhere simply don't apply to my particular setup, as
> I've previously lamented here]. Yes, the one caveat is that
> copy-protected channels might not be available through it, but you
> never know, and I presume you can use your NTSC encoder card for those
> channels. I don't know for sure, having never had to deal with NTSC
> capture cards, and I'm glad for it!

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge regarding HDTV and
FireWire, but could you give me some more details of the setup you're
running? I've got an HD cable box and a great HDTV and I'm wanting to
set up a MythTV box to handle both my regular cable channels and my HD
channels as well. Could I use the FireWire out with channel switching
(either via an IR Blaster or serial/USB interface) to get channels from
my cable box to my MythTV box and then put out the signal via
DVI/Component to the TV? Would I still get the true HD signal out to the
TV? Thanks for any details.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837