[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware requirements for a Frontend

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Wed Jan 4 07:14:50 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 01:36 -0500, Steve Adeff wrote:
> > your motherboard should have the Realtek ALC850 which is the same as my MSI
> > board and works fine when using the intel ac97 ALSA drivers:

Yep - definitely the ALC850.  And the intel ac97 drivers load up.
Incidentally, the vendor is DFI, not AFI.  Typo on my part...

> > snd_intel8x0           33664  0
> > snd_ac97_codec        105028  1 snd_intel8x0
> > snd_ac97_bus            3712  1 snd_ac97_codec
> > snd_pcm_oss            52896  0
> > snd_mixer_oss          17536  1 snd_pcm_oss
> > snd_pcm                89480  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> > snd_timer              23432  1 snd_pcm
> > snd                    52704  6
> > snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
>
> I should point out, this is for both the ALC850 on the K8n and the ALC655 on
> my KN1.
> Also, some boards have a BIOS setting where you can force the audio chipset
> into their native mode or AC97 mode. I haven't come across this with the
> Realtek chips, but it could still be out there on another motherboard. OR If
> you see such a thing in your BIOS and your having trouble with your sound,
> set it to AC97 mode an ALSA should detect it as an AC97 audio chip and load
> the appropriate intel drivers.

Mine only has the BIOS setting: "AC97 Audio" which can be set to "Auto"
or "Disabled".  So no native mode... Alsa had no trouble loading the
drivers, and PCM audio worked just fine.  It's just the AC3 audio that
doesn't work.  If yours is working fine, can you post the 'lspci -v'
output and send me your asound.state and .asoundrc files?

Thanks,
	-I