[mythtv-users] Overkill...

CascadeHush cascadehush at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 4 11:39:01 UTC 2006

The main reason I continue to use XP on one of my PCs is my Hauppage
150 TV Tuner card, which I use to record TV according to a schedule I
have set up.  This particular PC is my main file server, as well as
being a digital VCR (I don't want to say PVR, because that implies
certain types of functionality, most of which I find pretty
useless).  I'd prefer to switch this machine over to linux, if I can
get the same functionality.

I've had a look at MythTV, and whilst it's all very impressive, it is
overkill for what I want.  I just want a way to schedule TV
recordings.  I don't want a fancy front end, I don't want an
electronic program guide... I'm not looking to build a media box.  I
just want something totally anonymous, that sits on my network and
records TV programs to a HD.  And then, when I want to watch them, it
will be in whatever program, on whatever platform I happen to be
using at the time, and when I do, I will open the file directly as I
would open any other file.

Is there a way to do this with MythTV... or is there another program
which will do this under linux?

It seems that MythTV has both a back and front end, and perhaps the
answer is to just run the back end, but I wonder if this is possible?