[mythtv-users] freeze when switch to record

Cyber Source peter at cybersource.us
Wed Jan 4 16:17:46 UTC 2006

Al McIntosh wrote:

> Sounds like the either of the following will fix your issue.
>
> mkdir -p /var/lib/mythtv/blahblah...
>
> Did you enter a location in myth setup where recorded shows to end up
> on your filesystem?
>

> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>  I have this EXTREMELY annoying problem. I have an Avermedia M179
>> card using the ivtv modules. I can record fine if I do a "cat
>> /dev/video0 > /tmp/somevid.mpg" but when I try to record in Myth the
>> moment it starts to record the screen goes with all straight vertical
>> lines and no sound. If I start the mythfronted from terminal, I can
>> see that it is bitching about invalid file handle when opening
>> /var/lib/mythtv/blahblah... and the name of the file is really long.
>> Any ideas on this one?? TIA!

I FINALLY figured out a solution! As this has happened before and I
never found out how the problem got fixed (one day it just started
working, on another box). I cruised the http://www.wilsonet/mythtv site
and looked under his tips and tricks section and he recommended setting
the mythfrontend to run setuid root, I did that and all is well!!!! And
the performance on the box is WAY better, what a difference!! Hopefully
this will help others if they encounter this annoyance as it was driving
me NUTS!!! LOL

--
cybersource.us
                         115 Richfield Road