[mythtv-users] Strange behavior with LIRC for pause button

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 4 22:34:42 UTC 2006

Jon Reynolds wrote:

 > Hi John,
 >
 > Are you saying here that when you press pause that you see two
different codes being transmitted? If so, I had the same problem and had
to map both codes to the pause key on my remote.

 > Jon

No, sorry it's confusing to explain.  I see the same IR code coming from
  irw (in my case, it's the string "ffff022820280004 03 pause mythtv").
  The line prints once if I just press the Pause button once.  It prints
multiple times if I hold down the Pause button.

I guess the gist of the problem is that it appears to require multiple
transmits of the Pause button to trigger Myth to toggle between Play and
Pause.  The confusing part, to me, is that not only is irw showing that
the transmission is received multiple times, but you can visually see,
in MythTV, in the little "Play/Pause" on-screen display, that MythTV
itself seems to be receiving the multiple transmissions.  And it's only
when it DOES get multiple transmissions that Play/Pause is toggled.  A
single press of the button won't toggle it.

The net effect, to the Remote Control user, is that they feel like they
need to hold down Pause for a few seconds, which is unlike any other
button.  And the uncertainty (how long to hold it for? sometimes, if you
hold it too short or too long, the display flickers but doesn't toggle)
makes the operation "uncomfortable".

Just strange.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers,