[mythtv-users] Large LCD Televisions?

Joshua Ferraro jmf at kados.org
Wed Jan 4 22:50:29 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

First off, I'm completely new to mythtv and to PVR/home theatre in
general...and usual thanks to the folks who work on mythtv and support
the project - great job!

Now ... here's my situation. I recently purchased a Pundit-R BookPC
(http://www.cappuccinopc.com/bookpc-pundit-r.asp), a HD-3000 card,
and a Samsung LNR408D 40" LCD Flat Panel television
(http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=7676889).
Ideally, I'd like to set up a home theatre for cable/FTA satelite, HDTV,
and PVR goodness. The Pundit-R is a bit low-powered for anything serious,
but I figured it was a cheap way to get started. My Samsung LCD TV is
still returnable (for about 20 days or so), so if anyone has any suggestions
for a better choice that's comparable (price and quality, etc.) I'm all ears.

My problem is that I can't get the TV to display Xorg. I've got a DVI->HDMI
cable that I'm using to do the display out to the TV, it almost works fine
in text mode (except for the fact that the screen size seems to be too large
for the display and my cursor and the left-hand side is cropped off the screen).
My xorg.conf file looks mostly like http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/xorg.conf-HD.txt
except that I've obviously got a different video card. Basically, the only
error I've got to go off is the TV's 'mode not supported' whenever I try
to startx.

So my questions ... is anyone here actually using a largish (~40") LCD HDTV-
capable TV with linux? If so, which ones work really well (ie, any
recommendations?)? Any ideas for how to get this Samsung working with X?

Thanks,

Joshua