[mythtv-users] Zap2It multiple sources same cable?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 5 15:26:30 UTC 2006

Byron Poland wrote:

>On 1/3/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>So I've got three sources from the same cable company, am I doomed to have to
>>have 3 logins?
>>
>>1: HD Digital Cablebox via Firewire
>>2: SD Digital Cablebox via PVR-150
>>3: pcHDTV HD3000 cia QAM
>>
>>all from Comcast. Now, each source requires its own specific channel lineup
>>and all three require a "Digital Cable" lineup to be selected.
>>
>>The easiest would be to setup 1 zap2it source for all three and somehow tell
>>Myth which tuner gets what channels. But I don't think this is possible.
>>

>See if you can pick a neighboring zip code that has the same services.
> I seem to remember doing this to try and circumvent some multiple
>lineup issues, I don't remember my exact issues they could of been
>related to OTA stuff.

I think you only need 2 different lineups at zap2it.
I have ONE logon at zap2it and TWO different lineups. One lineup is
just  'Cable'. The other is 'Digital'.
Your PVR150 card will use the 'Cable' source.
Your Digital channels should be handled by the Myth database.
You may be able to use the 'other zip-code' trick, but I think that that
will fail unless you set up a different login. (I haven't tested but I
thought that Myth could handle a different login for an alternate
source. The problem is the zap2it end: one login allows only one lineup
of each type, cable, digital, or broadcast.)

You should be able to get all of the digital channels working properly
from the one digital lineup.
To get QAM working you have to set up the dtv_mulitplex table and then
enter the channel PID (as the serviceid) in the channel database.
Search gossamer threads for a topic heading starting with  "Sweet! PC
HD..." for links on how to get that done.

When you select a show, Myth uses the database and searchs to find the
channel, and parses out the hardware source (and serviceid to give to
the hardware) and the frequency in order to tune the proper piece of
hardware.
In this case the source will be either #1 or #3, and it will always
internally 'tune' to the fixed channel while outputting an IR
change-channel signal to the cablebox for any channel mapped to #1. At
least that's how it appears it should work. And people have reported
here that the two parts of this do work separately. In fact, I'm doing
the 'source #3' part of that now with my PVR500 and HD3000. Your setup
is different only in using the 'same' digital source for different
tuners depending on the channel, but it should work.

You have an advantage in that you can use the cablebox to discover the
PIDs for all of the digital channels, so it will be a little easier for
you to set up the HD3000 card's database entries. You may want to get
phpMyAdmin running on your box, as this requires some mysql database
bit-bashing which is a lot easier to do with a hand holding gui.

Geoff