[mythtv-users] samsung TV and firewire output

Todd Hutchinson tahutchinson_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 17:19:19 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Samsung 4667W TV.  This
TV has 2 firewire input/output ports.  I realize that
myth does not currently support recording from the
FireWire ports of TVs, but it is something that I
would like to try--it should be similar to using
FireWire on a cable box, right?  I came across an
article in "The Perfect Vision" magazine about
FireWire output on another Samsung TV.  To quote the
article:

"I attempted to make a recording on an RCA DVR, ....
The HL-R5668 had no problem recognizing the RCA DVR,
and the set was able to play and fast-scan any of the
recordings I had previously stored on it. However, the
Samsung would not allow me to record any new cable
content on the DVR. Instead, it displayed an on-screen
notice that the content was copy-protected. This
occurred with my local digital-broadcast channels
(terrestrial channels that are rebroadcast on digital
cable) as well as premium content such as HBO. Copy
restrictions are prohibited on rebroadcast channels,
so that couldn't have been the problem.
   "I finally learned from Samsung that the HL-R5668
does not have a PID (Program Identifier) filter. This
filter is essential for recording digital-cable
signals, which carry two complete HD channels in the
same 6MHz bandwidth as single-channel over-the-air
broadcasts. A program ID filter allows only one
channel to pass through the FireWire cable to the
recorder, which can't record two channels at once. ...
The Samsung rep I spoke with assured me that digital
recordings of terrestrial broadcasts can be performed,
but I didn't try it."

So, if I understand this correctly, it's not possible
to record from the TVs firewire ports if it is fed a
cable TV signal.  (I realize that I could use the
firewire output from the cable box instead).  But, if
I use an antenna to recieve channels OTA, will I have
the same problem.  Do you concur?

Ultimately, I'd like to use mythtv to record from the
FireWire output of the TV. Is there any hope of doing
that with this TV?  I did read the thread from a
couple of weeks ago about using HAVi to control a
TV--might be fun to try with this TV, if I can get
over the above problem.

Thanks,

Todd