[mythtv-users] Popup menus occasionally unresponsive with LIRC

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 7 01:41:35 UTC 2006

Pekka Jääskeläinen wrote:

>On 1/5/06, David Ellis <david at ellisonline.ca> wrote:
>

>>This problem is most noticeable after playing a video in Xine (for me
>>anyways).
>>

>This problem is not connected to Xine fully (although I know the long-standing
>focus bug of Xine which is also very annoying). I've experienced this
>randomly since I started using MythTV (around 1-2 years ago).

Right.  It can happen with any external (non-Myth) application that
creates a window.

>Now I also get this problem in my dedicated MythFrontend box which hasn't
>any window manager running at all - I just start MythFrontend as the
>first client
>in the X server.
>
>This is quite an annoying problem, I'll try to debug it somehow (by attaching to
>the mythfrontend process with gdb) when it occurs again.

Hmmm.  So you're saying you have focus problems when you're not using a
Window Manager (one purpose of which is to manage window focus).  That
is annoying.  ;)

(I highly recommend you use a window manager...)

>There's also even more annoying problem with the dedicated box:
>when I get 'back' from the recordings menu (try to get to the main
>menu) the whole mythfrontend disappears sometimes. I get the classic X server
>background with mouse cursor centered in it, and there's no way out of
>the state without remotely restarting mythfrontend or reseting the box (I don't
>have keyboard nor mouse connected to the box).

Sounds like mythfrontend is segfaulting (and, depending on your
configuration, may not be cleaned up properly, so X doesn't realize it's
done).

>This problem might have something to do with the problem in topic, or
>not, as I'm not sure
>if the "mythfrontend" just gets "minimized/totally out of focus"
>somehow. Sounds pretty
>far-fetched though.

Very unlikely (especially since without a WM, there is no concept of
minimization).

>I'm not running the latest SVN, though, but a revision from around June '05.

This may have been during a period where the segfault after exiting a
recording was common.  It's still possible now, but much less common.

Mike