[mythtv-users] Scheduling with 2 tuner cards.

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Jan 7 03:31:32 UTC 2006

    Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:13:42 -0500
    From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    >>I have a 10 minute extra recording delay set as the default.

    This is a global pre-/post-roll.  It is not meant to be used as an
    "always record this much before/after"--it's supposed to be set to the
    amount of time it takes your card/disk/etc. to "spin up" for a recording
    and or to give an STB's OSD time to disappear.

We're talking about the two top items in the first screen of Main ->
Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> General in 0.18.1, are we not?
I see that its self-documentation says that it doesn't affect the
scheduler, but perhaps it would be clearer if your sentence about
"spinning up" and/or OSD disappearance was added.  It sure seemed
to me, too, that this would be a reasonable way to add a global
pre/post roll to things (though I haven't tried it yet), and it wasn't
until your message that I took a closer look at exactly what it was
saying about the scheduler and realized that it probably wasn't want I
wanted in the case of two sequentially-aired shows on the same channel:
I'd want each to get its -own- padding (which currently would consume
two tuner, and maybe someday in the future will consume only one), and
apparently this control won't do it.

    >>I found a kludgey way around it by forcing my recording to run 15 minutes over which rescheduled the
    >>second show onto the other card.

    This "kludgey" way is the way you're supposed to do this.  If you need
    to over-record for a rule, set the over-record on /that/ rule and the
    scheduler will honor it.  If you need it on all rules, set it on all rules.

Is there a fast way to do this?

    >> Maybe this and part 1 above could be added to the scheduling
    >>algorithm in the next version.

    Search the archives.  This has been discussed to death.  Some devs
    (Chris Pinkham/Bruce Markey?) even went to the trouble of writing code
    to allow "hard" pre-/post-roll values, but the limited feedback they
    received combined with the extra problems it created seemed to be enough
    to cause them to table the issue.

Can you provide a more-specific pointer?  I'm having a hard time
finding this particular discussion in the archives; presumably I'm
not using whatever terminology was being used.

    It seems we're more likely to get a "default recording settings" that
    would provide a "template" to use when creating a new rule (i.e. allows
    you to set the default to include start early/end late values other than 0).

That would certainly be nice.  In particular, I'd like to say, by
default, "pad -every- recording by 2 minutes with a pre- and
post-roll."  I don't see any way of doing this; it seems that
I have to specify it for every program I pluck out of the program
guide, or for every recording rule I make.  It'd be nice if it
could inherit some default values.  (If there's some easy way
to do this, then I've missed it; can anyone enlighten me?)