[mythtv-users] replaceing a Hauppage 150 with a pvr 500

weeny canx11 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 7 11:15:03 UTC 2006

 Stephen Kitchener:
> I did try as you suggested and the output is below..
>
> ivtvctl -a gives

Did you try ivtvctl -a with the device option each for the
corresponding /dev/video devices? I think per default it only checks the
first one...

> ioctl IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC ok
> Codec parameters
> aspect      : 2
> audio       : 0x00e9
> bframes     : 3
> bitrate_mode: 0
[...]
>         Frame period: 1/25
>         Frame lines : 625
> ioctl VIDIOC_G_STD ok

...the next line looks like the tuner is set to pal (0xff):

> Video standard = 0x000000f f
> ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
> Brightness = 383
> Contrast = 63
> Saturation = 63
> Hue = 0
> Volume = 58880
> Mute = 1
>
> Dosn't this look like there is only one tuner being found.....but the
> messages in dmesg seem to conflict with this, dmesg (Part of) is below...
>
> ivtv:  ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
> ivtv:  version 0.4.1 (tagged release) loading
> ivtv:  Linux version: 2.6.12-12mdk 686 gcc-4.0
> ivtv:  In case of problems please include the debug info between
[...]

From the rest of you dmesg output it really looks fine with detecting properly
both first and second card. Did you explictly tell ivtvctl to set up the
settings for /dev/video0 and seperatly for /dev/video1? Also to tune the card
you need to tell ivtv-tune to talk to the respective devices....

What frequency to use:
When i first wondered what frequency to use i just ran scantv and it detected
the proper channels which are stored to .tv/stations in your home per
default. Maybe use scantv (part of xawtv...) to check whether it can find
some channels. The channel numbers then can be used with ivtv-tune to switch
channels.

Regards,

weeny