[mythtv-users] Troubles viewing 1080i and even 720p

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 15:55:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 06 January 2006 22:44, Len Reed wrote:
> I am completely frustrated with trying to get HDTV working.  I can get
> 720p (with issues) but not 1080i.  I've tried different drivers, cards
> (both Nvidia PCIE), modelines, and both DVI and component video.
>
> Setup
> -----
> Nvidia Geforce 6600 (DVI and component out)
> Fedora core 4 x86_64, up to date
> Nvidia driver (tried last three, including very recent patch)
> Athlon-64x2 3800+
> 1GB RAM
> Mitsubishi WD-52628 TV (internally 1920x1080p)
> Custom built 2.6.15 kernel, though Fedora kernel doesn't work any better
>
> The TV accepts 720p and 1080i via component and HDMI.  Both inputs
> worked fine with an upscaling DVD player (720p and 1080i) and the cable
> set top box (1080i).
>
> I really want to do 1080i, since the cable source material is all 1080i
> and the TV has 1080 lines.
>
> Here's where I can do.
>
> 1. With special Modeline (I've tried several) I can do 1080i and get a
> really nice desktop (component only).  I can bring up mythfrontend, but
> if I try to play video (NTSC), X goes crazy.  X takes 99% of one core.
> I have to ssh into the machine and shut it down (everything, not just X)
> to get decent video again.  Running mplayer does the same thing, whether
> given 1920x1080 or DVD material or NTSC-based .nuvs.
>
> 2. With the special modeline I can do 1080i DVI->HDMI, but the
> interlacing is off by several millimeters.  Several people have reported
> this.
>
> 3. I have been unable to get 720p to HDMI working.
>
> 4. 720p to component video presents a lovely desktop and video plays
> (high def and NTSC, including mythfrontend playing NTSC).  I don't
> specify any special modelines, but just tell it to use TV "HD720p".  The
> high def video (mplayer) looks decent enough (though 1080 would be
> better), but the NTSC from myth looks like crap.  No matter what
> deinterlacing method I try the playback looks lousy whenever there is
> motion.
>
> I haven't even bothered with the highdef backend (I'm just connected
> over the network to the existing NTSC backend).  There seems little
> point in capture stuff I can't view.  Sample 1920x1080i files were
> captured a couple of weeks ago when I was playing with the HD5000 card.
>
> If anyone has 1080i working I'd very much like to see your xorg.conf and
> know what card and driver you're using.
>
> If I ever do get this working, I'll post a complete report.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Len

the newer nvidia drivers don't properly do interlaced modes, I don't remember
what the version is, but someone posted it to the list a while back a search
should bring it up.

Hopefully this is the issue with X freaking out. Good luck solving the
problem. You might also want to search around avsforum.com and elsewhere to
see if you can find proper modelines that your tv will accept.

There are some ATSC standard modelines to try at:
http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/Modelines

if you find working modelines for your tv, please email them to me so I can
add them to the new mythtv.org wiki entry.

--
Steve