[mythtv-users] liveTV using 100% CPU

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 8 21:47:26 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:

>> In SVN's frontend settings (Playback Settings, General playback
>> (page 1)):
>>
>> Enable OpenGL vertical sync for timing
>> If it is supported by your hardware/drivers, MythTV will use OpenGL
>> vertical syncing for video timing, reducing frame jitter.
>>
>> In MythTV 0.18 and 0.18.1, you have to recompile Myth without  OpenGL
>> vsync.  In MythTV 0.18-fixes SVN, you have the same option  as SVN.
>> (Note that if you have one you think is 0.18.2, it's  probably
>> 0.18-fixes SVN, so it probably has the option.)
>>
>Hmm....
>
>I'm running 0.18.1 on a Gentoo system, and compiling outside the
>"portage" system usually leads to trouble. I'm not sure what "USE"
>flag indicated the use of vsync, "nVidia" probably did it.
>
>I'm not sure which is going to be more of a pain, re-compiling MythTV
>or getting an older version of nVidia's drivers to work, seems the
>kernel API has changed and broken older video drivers.

What about using 0.18-fixes SVN?  Don't know Gentoo, but 0.18-fixes SVN
is very close to 0.18.1, so I'd guess other than getting different
source code, everything would be identical.  And, with the -fixes
branch, you can enable OpenGL vsync for the build and disable it at
runtime with the setting.

Mike