[mythtv-users] Fwd: Sempron 3100 lag when viewing HD from 6200 STB

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jan 9 21:35:05 UTC 2006

Adam Propeck wrote:

> Here is some more detail. ( Xrog.conf and some hdparm info) I'm
> wondering if livetv isn't playing well because of the specific
> firewire port/driver? I'm using the single port that comes with the
> audigy 2 PCI card I'm using. Also, I guess I was wondering if I need
> to do anything specific with the fact that I'm using an Nforce 3
> motherboard. Any tweaks that are recommended? Thanks, -Adam

I think the problem is that fundamentally, the ATI driver does not
provide hardware accelerated MPEG-2 playback and your Sempron cannot
handle the software decoding without choking.  If you had an Nvidia card
that supported XvMC you could enable that which would activate the
hardware decoding and probably give you the performance you expect.

Kevin