[mythtv-users] How to KEEP mythtv running when user exits

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 01:45:50 UTC 2006

> Putting a line like: m7:2345:respawn:/bin/su - mythtv -c /usr/bin/startx
> in my /etc/inittab doesn't work.  When I test it, by exiting from
> mythtv, this method fails with a message about the user not being
> allowed to start the x server.  Which puzzles me because user mythtv IS
> allowed to run startx, and the command line 'su -mythtv -c
> /usr/bin/startx' works fine when I'm logged in as root.
>
> What am I missing?  How do other people handle this?

On my setup (FC3, ATRPMs, MythTV 0.18.1, Ratpoison as window manager)
I get a prompt to check I want exit of out MythTV. If I select "Yes"
then it takes me back to a screen where I have a big image that
contains a MythTV logo and a banner that says "Press SRS on the remote
to start MythTV". (There's a button labelled SRS on my remote which
starts mythfrontend if it's not already running). I don't exit to a
command prompt.

The image gets loaded by this line in .ratpoisonrc:

exec xloadimage -onroot -quiet -center /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mythtvstart.jpg

If you're going back to a command prompt I'm wondering whether you're
booting into runlevel 5 - perhaps you're booting to runlevel 3
(controlled in inittab) and then running startx? I boot to runlevel 5.

HTH,
Phill