[mythtv-users] NFS or SAMBA for Video Stream

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed Jan 11 05:16:10 UTC 2006

>I am running mythtv with a separate video server.  I currently have it connect
>with a smb share.  The only problem is a quick pause in movies every 5 minutes
>or so.  Not really a bother, but is a tweek to smb available or would nfs do better?

Movies ripped by mythtv don't require much bandwidth at all to play - I would be
surprised if it had anything to do with NFS vs SAMBA and proper tuning.  Have
you verified that there is no pause if you were to play them from a local HDD relative
to the frontend? Can you play them from another frontend or even a Windows PC?

It could be something else, such as an IRQ conflict between your NIC and another
device, another process using high CPU every 5 minutes, etc.