[mythtv-users] Does mythtv support 1080p?

Chris Lynch lynchseattle at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:35:55 UTC 2006

On 1/10/06, Greg Kovacs <gregkovacs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to linux support of pvr's.  I've done a little research though and
> from what I can tell MythTv is the most functional and stable; plus, it
> allows for multiple inputs and outputs.  But I haven't been able to find out
> whether or not 1080p output is supported?  And maybe it depends on the
> hardware, if so, does anybody have any sucess with any particular sets
> of hardware (including displaying it on a 1080p tv)?  I apologize if this
> has been asked before, again I'm new to this...
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

You can get 1080p working - I have it up and running on my box.  The biggest
thing to keep in mind is a CPU powerful enough to play back 1080p (3Ghz+ is
a good idea I think), a video board that can output the resolution and has
DVI on it (I have a 6600GT), a DVI->HDMI cable, and of course firewire or an
HDTV board to record with (I went with an HD-3000, but I've heard good
things about the HD-5000 also).  I will say it was a royal pain to get
running, but it's quite impressive when you do get it going!  Most of the
trials and tribulations of getting it running can be read about in the
archives - that's how I got it running.

Let me know if you have have any other specific questions, but it can be
done and runs very well.

Thanks,

Chris