[mythtv-users] SVN mythtranscode

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 10:47:59 UTC 2006

> Haven't seen anyone reply to this yet so I will.  Notice he said 'lossless'.
> The MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding in SVN is for cutting only, it does not
> re-encode the frames (except around the cutpoints I believe).  So, the
> space savings from using it are because you get to cut out those 20 minutes
> of commercials out of every hour of show and if you're using TS files,
> you may save space since the output format is PS.

Thanks Chris. What prompted me to think that lossy might be an option
in SVN was that he said "...using the -m switch (which should turn ON
lossless) creates a file the same size as without it". That implies
that if you don't use the -m switch you get a _lossy_ conversion which
is what I actually want! If there is no lossy trancoding, why is there
a -m flag to specify lossless if that's all it does anyway?

Regards,
Phill