[mythtv-users] SVN mythtranscode

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:29:41 UTC 2006

> to add to Adam's remarks... you CAN'T do a lossless transcode from a lossy
> format to a lossy format. it's impossible. you can do what may seem an
> imperceivable loss in quality, but inherent to lossy formats, any transcoding
> done will loose quality. If you do any decrease in resolution, filtering,
> etc, even more so.
>
> what the new SVN MPEG2->MPEG2 transcode can do when just doing commercial
> cutting is to copy frames where possible, and do a reencode of frames that
> require it around cut points only. I believe the quality level of this
> reencode is set similar to the rest of the mpeg, maybe slightly better to
> help preserve quality, Geoff would be better to explain what his work did.

I'm not asking to do lossy to lossy. I have DVB-T cards which receive
MPEG2 signals broadcast at ~ 7Mbps. These are just dumped straight to
disk as that's what DVB-T cards do. What I want to do is transcode
these to smaller files - but in MPEG2 format, not MPEG4. This this
would be a transcode from a high quality MPEG2 file to a lower
quality, smaller size MPEG2 file. I'm trying to find out if that's
possible.

Sorry if I haven't made this clear earlier.

Regards,
Phill