[mythtv-users] DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite vs HD3000

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri Jan 13 18:05:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:40:31AM -0500, Michael Haan wrote:
> On 1/13/06, Scott <catfather at donpoo.net> wrote:
> >
> > Greets -
> >
> > I've been following MythTV lists for a while and seem to recall that
> > the DVICO Fusion 5 cards have a newer generation HDTV tuner than the
> > HD3000 card. Is this correct? If so, can anyone speak to improvements
> > due to the newer tuner, such as picture quality, channel locking,
> > channel switching etc?
> >
> > My primary use of either card will be for ATSC only. At this point
> > I'm leaning towards the DVICO Fusion 5 Lite simply because it is more
> > current hardware and appears to have good in kernel support. I was
> > also pleased by how fast it seemed that in kernel support came along
> > after the hardware was released. (Seemed like only a 2 or 3 months!)
> >
> > --
> > Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
> > AIM: BlueCame1

> I'm interested in the answer to this as well, as I have both cards and the
> 3000 is having..... issues.

The Fusion 5 Gold does have a fifth generation tuner, but if I remember
right the Fusion 5 Lite and the pcHDTV HD-3000 both have
4th generation.  The difference in generations from 4-5 is multi-path
reception and some attempts to better handle receiving signals when the
antenna is in motion (ie, a car).  I personally have 3 HD-2000's and 4
HD-3000's.  The HD-3000's are slightly better than the HD-2000's in
tuning, but every one of my cards works perfectly and I only have the
HD-3000's because the HD-2000's can't tune QAM.  If you're having
problems locking, fix your antenna and cable, not your card.  Also the
signal % received is about as truthful as bogomips.  If you rely
strictly on that signal % then you're comparing apples and oranges.
Fact is, the only way to do a good signal check is compare number of
packets received over the course of an entire year, in every type of
rain, snow, wind, and humidity setting.

The fusion cards development has actually been going on for almost 4
years, but this is the first card they've had good luck with.  Kernel
support was easier to do because the card uses DVB, that cards like the
pcHDTV HD-3000 and air2pc helped push along last year.

Picture quality is a mute point, the card has 0 to do with this, unless
you're using the SD tuner on the card, and in that case the pcHDTV with
SVGA, composite, and NTSC inputs is a good choice, but few use it for
anything but HD.  Channel locking has more to do with your
antenna and wiring than anything else.  If you want to get nit picky,
Myth slightly favors the pchdtv cards locking sequence and handles
things better than other cards, but this is only a problem on some
cards that don't report channel and signal lock correctly.

In 95% of cases, wireing and antenna will make the difference in
reception, not the card.  In a few rare instances one card may be
better.  I know of an air2pc working better in some areas of the country
with some frequencies and the pchdtv working better in others.  There's
no way to predict what's going to work best in your area, so focus on
wireing and antenna, not the card.  Every last card made is unique, and
will favor one specific frequency more than another.

Everyone can pick whichever card they want, but you should know there's
only one HDTV tuner card company giving back to the community and
providing hardware or paying kernel, myth, distributions and software
developers to help improve HDTV under Linux, and who's purpose is to
help this community, so I'm biast and support pcHDTV more, even if it
isn't the cheapest.  The HD-3000 has the best QAM support and it's OTA
tuner is good enough you're not very likely to see another card do
better in most cases.

--Brandon