[mythtv-users] Improving picture quality

mike choy mike at acaciaclose.co.uk
Sat Jan 14 12:19:03 UTC 2006

After much thinking

I have come to realize that the trick to improve quality is to reduce
the number of times the picture is scaled manipulated
Lets assume that I have a PAL DVB picture of  704X576 50hz which is
coming down my dvb capture card.
I want to output to a digital display using DVI.

Here are the number of times the picture gets scaled.

1.MythTV scales the picture according to the parameters in its playback
settings
                -deinterlace
                -aspect ration overide
                -GUI/TV size
2.xv scales the picture to the org.conf display resolution
3. The nvidia driver does some internal scaling
4. The digital display device scales to the device parameters

My current strategy is to set the Myth and Xorg resolutions to be the
same as my display device
there by all the scaling that goes on before the display is only done by
a factor of 1.

have I got this right?

Mike C