[mythtv-users] install ivtv-0.5.1 fails with ivtv: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog (make distclean doesn't help)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Jan 15 00:57:50 UTC 2006

mrwester wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm having some trouble getting ivtv-0.5.1 installed.  I've followed
> the directions in the ivtvdriver.org <http://ivtvdriver.org> howto,
> and I've  and tried  cd ivtv/v4l-kernel; make distclean as suggested
> in the troubleshooting.  Is there something more to that?  I've also
> tried  make distclean; make; make install.  I have no problems
> installing 0.4.1, but am looking to move to 0.5.1 in hopes of getting
> my 3 PVR-XXX tuners playing nice with a DVB card (DViCO FusionHDTV 5
> lite).  With 0.4.1, I can get the ivtv working OR the DVB but not
> both.  So I've stepped back and would just like to get 0.5.1 working
> first, and then add the DVB card.
>
> Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong with 0.5.1?  Fresh FC4 install,
> with all updates from atrpms.net <http://atrpms.net>.
>
> Jan 13 20:39:24 localhost kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> Jan 13 20:39:24 localhost kernel: ivtv: disagrees about version of
> symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> Jan 13 20:39:24 localhost kernel: ivtv: Unknown symbol
> tveeprom_hauppauge_analog

This piece of advice in the wiki is (now) backwards:

"There is work at the moment to merge these conflicting versions, but in
the meantime the kernel version has to go:"

At least with the .4.1 driver, I (and others reporting here) have only
been able to get a PVR and a DVb card to work together by making the PVR
cards use the *kernel* module tveeprom.
If you moved/rename kernel modules, try changing them back and comment
out the line in your modprobe.conf which has 'alias tveeprom
tveeprom-ivtv' (Leave the rest of the alias' lines alone.

This change makes sense: the kernel module is there specifically for dvb
cards like yours... No wonder you have a problem!

But good luck with ivtv .5... I could not get it to work properly nor
could someone else with the same hardware as I have: PVR 500 + pcHD3000
card.
Presently runing (well... attempting to run... due to other problems.. )
ivtv version .4.1

Also, you should ensure that the cx88_dvb driver is listed FIRST in
modules.pcimap, and it helps if you enter it as the FIRST card in
mythtv-setup. (If it is in modules.pcimap after the cx8800 modules, then
those get loaded first and modprobe.conf seems to get confused trying to
run both NTSC and ATSC (analog/and digital ) modes. If cx88-dvb is
listed first then the kernel loads it (it IS a kernel module and the
hardware is there!) and no lines are needed in modprobe.conf. This is my
experience with Fedora 4 2.6.14-1.1644.

The card should show up at /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 and NOT at
/dev/video0. The PVR cards show up at /dev/video1 or 2 etc.

Geoff