[mythtv-users] mythvideo plugin on xbox - controls don't work

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 16 05:46:31 UTC 2006

Keith Hanlan wrote:

>I know that lirc is working for me since I use it successfully
>with mythtv. I know that mplayer is trying to use lirc since it
>logs the fact: "Setting up LIRC support..."
>
>Actually, I know that mplayer is using lirc because when I press
>the arrow buttons, I see the X cursor appear and move. That
>suggests that mplayer using lirc incorrectly. However, I can't
>figure out how.

that's lircmd, the LIRC mouse daemon, which is configured in X (see
section "Configuring lircmd (the LIRC mouse daemon)" in
http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html ) and has nothing to do with
MPlayer, so your postulate, "I know that mplayer is using lirc
because..." is invalid.  Note, also, that if you use the cursor buttons
for the mouse, you cannot use them for other functions (not reliably, at
least).

>Could it have something to do with the mplayer input.conf file?
>I'm unclear on the role of that file when lirc is used.  Does that
>somehow conflict with the lirc configuration?

Let it keep using the default one in /etc/mplayer/input.conf (i.e. don't
put one in ~/.mplayer).

>I assumed that lirc receives the keypress events, translates them
>to some sort of command and passes them to mplayer. So, why would
>it translate them to the *wrong* events when it sends the commands
>to mplayer as opposed to mythtv?

Actually, LIRC receives a button press and transmits a string to *all*
registered LIRC clients as configured in the .lircrc.  So, if you've
mapped the play button to "P" for Myth and to "play" for MPlayer, when
you press play, LIRC sends "P" to Myth and "play" to MPlayer.  It is up
to the application to know when to ignore the button press.  Myth begins
ignoring the button presses when you start a video from MythVideo.

And, Kevin is right--it has nothing to do with Myth.  You just have to
configure LIRC to work with mplayer.  Note, also, that you need to use
the appropriate commands for the strings (i.e. not letters like with
Myth).  You can get a list of the commands with:

mplayer -input cmdlist

Mike