[mythtv-users] Replacing MythTV remote... anyone have any experience with RS 15-2136 (or 15-2137?)

Kevin Venkiteswaran kkvenkit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:19:26 UTC 2006

> So I've gone to Radio Shack's site and was looking at the Kameleon line, and
> I'm pondering buying either a 15-2136 (
> http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103081&cp) or a
> 15-2137 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103082&cp).
> Obviously, I'd prefer the 2137 since it has the ability to control 6 devices
> instead of 4, but I'll settle for whichever one becomes available at Radio
> Shack first.  I'm curious if anyone has had any success setting up one of
> these remotes?  I looked around quite extensively, but aside from some IRC
> chatter I found in Google referencing mythtv and the 15-2136, I'm unable to
> find any information about successful use of one of these remotes.

I use the Kameleon 6-in-1 remote and absolutely love it. I liked it so
much I gave one to a friend for xmas for his mythtv, and another to my
dad for his non-mythtv home theatre.

Some things to be aware of, as you'll likely read about them in reviews
of the remote:

-it does support JP1 but there are no plugs for it. Ie, there are solder
points but no connector. (if you aren't adventurous on modding your
remote, just use efc (extended functionality codes, off-hand). these are
programmed using the remote buttons -- no soldering required!)

-it supposedly drains batteries, largely in part by the motion sensing.
this can be turned off though, which i did and haven't replace my
batteries after 2.5 months of use.

-with the motion sensing off you have to push a button to turn the
remote on. but the pushed button *does* send a signal. so you have to
get used to pushing a button with no effect (ie, the setup button at the
very bottom of the remote since it must be held for 2 seconds to
activate)

-grease on the screen is noticeable. if you like to eat chips and donuts
while using the remote, these kameleon remotes are (likely) not for you.

-i recommend at least the 6-in-1. there is an 8-in-1 Kamelon if you
really need that many devices.

The three largest features of the remote I love are:
-macro programming for the power button: turn on or off all devices with
a single click
-a home-theatre mode that lets you assign blocks of buttons to different
devices! ie, volume goes to your receiver, everything else goes to
mythtv
-a wild display that is a topic of conversation every time someone sees
it.

I have produced (what I think to be) a great lircd.conf and
corresponding .lircrc for the 6-in-1. I even have step-by-step
instructions for some EFC coding to enable all the buttons.
Unfortunately my wiki, where all this data is, is currently off-line
because I recently moved. But it will be back online within the first
week of February.

Cheers
Kevin