[mythtv-users] Replacing MythTV remote... anyone have any experience with RS 15-2136 (or 15-2137?)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 03:31:12 UTC 2006

--- Kevin Venkiteswaran <kkvenkit at gmail.com> wrote:

> > So I've gone to Radio Shack's site and was looking
>

> I use the Kameleon 6-in-1 remote and absolutely love
> it. I liked it so
> much I gave one to a friend for xmas for his mythtv,
> and another to my
> dad for his non-mythtv home theatre.
>
> Some things to be aware of, as you'll likely read
> about them in reviews
> of the remote:
>
> -it does support JP1 but there are no plugs for it.
> Ie, there are solder
> points but no connector. (if you aren't adventurous
> on modding your
> remote, just use efc (extended functionality codes,
> off-hand). these are
> programmed using the remote buttons -- no soldering
> required!)
>
> -it supposedly drains batteries, largely in part by
> the motion sensing.
> this can be turned off though, which i did and
> haven't replace my
> batteries after 2.5 months of use.
>
> -with the motion sensing off you have to push a
> button to turn the
> remote on. but the pushed button *does* send a
> signal. so you have to
> get used to pushing a button with no effect (ie, the
> setup button at the
> very bottom of the remote since it must be held for
> 2 seconds to
> activate)
>
> -grease on the screen is noticeable. if you like to
> eat chips and donuts
> while using the remote, these kameleon remotes are
> (likely) not for you.
>
> -i recommend at least the 6-in-1. there is an 8-in-1
> Kamelon if you
> really need that many devices.
>
> The three largest features of the remote I love are:
> -macro programming for the power button: turn on or
> off all devices with
> a single click
> -a home-theatre mode that lets you assign blocks of
> buttons to different
> devices! ie, volume goes to your receiver,
> everything else goes to
> mythtv
> -a wild display that is a topic of conversation
> every time someone sees
> it.
>
> I have produced (what I think to be) a great
> lircd.conf and
> corresponding .lircrc for the 6-in-1. I even have
> step-by-step
> instructions for some EFC coding to enable all the
> buttons.
> Unfortunately my wiki, where all this data is, is
> currently off-line
> because I recently moved. But it will be back online
> within the first
> week of February.
>
> Cheers
> Kevin

I have read that the buttons that will illuminate on
the Kameleon remotes are fixed according to the device
map in ROM (that is, if you program in a TV, then only
the buttons for that TV will light up).  If you use
JP1 to write new data into the remote (to enable
disabled buttons), then supposedly the newly enabled
buttons still won't light up.

If you program a disabled button with an EFC, will it
light up (where previously it wouldn't because it was
disabled)?

I'm looking for a new remote, that's why I ask.

-- Joe