[mythtv-users] LIRC Problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 17 14:44:54 UTC 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Luke wrote:

> Brian asked me to look into options "LIRC_OPTS="--with-
> driver=hauppauge" in /etc/make.conf". This seems like Gentoo lingo.
> I tried the HOWTO at  Gentoo-Wiki and that confused me even further
> with stuff like "emerge" and "/etc/portage/package.keywords". I
> have never used Gentoo before, but I am open to any solutions to my
> problem.

Sorry about that. I run an FC3 box and I found building a Gentoo
machine to be confusing at first. I needed to take a step back and
learn the "Gentoo Way", but in the end you get a system that is
completely compiled from source and totally optimized for your exact
configuration, IMHO a better final result.

Gentoo's support for MythTV seems quite good, and I think some of
their docs on the subject would be useful to folks running MythTV on
other Linux variants.

The key point is that LIRCD_OPTS needs to be passed to the running
lircd daemon to tell it what device to listen to, while LIRC_OPTS
seems to be a compile-time directive to tell it what hardware support
to build in (ie: i2c support if you're using a Hauppauge remote).
Obviously different different systems will pass these parameters
along in different ways. The fact that they are so similar seems to
cause a lot of confusion.

If you're constructing from RPMS then the LIRC_OPTS has probably been
decided for you, hopefully in the correct way. LIRCD_OPTS needs to be
in a config file someplace, and will primarily differ between uDev
and /dev systems, there will also be multiple choices if you have
more than one Hauppauge card and will depend on which card you have
plugged your IR receiver into. You also need to be sure that the
device that LIRCD_OPTS points to exists when lircd starts, which it
may not before the correct modules are loaded on a uDev system.

Confused? So am I.