[mythtv-users] HD-2000 doesn't record 5.1 surround (ac3) under myth 0.18.1 ?

Tim Carr rush2112 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:32:07 UTC 2006

Hey all,

I've got my sound configured properly (I can play the dolby test .vob files
and the passthru works, giving me 5.1 dolby digital to my receiver), but i'm
having problems with myth.

If myth records "normal" HD tv with my ATSC tuner (PCHDTV-2000), it works
fine, the sound goes over spdif as PCM/stereo.  But when I taped sunday and
monday's 24 premieres which should have 5.1 ac3 sound, there's no sound! I
checked by playing the .nuv files in Xine, which works fine with 5.1 sound
from other test .vob files. Each 2 hour HD .nuv file is 8.4gb, which seems
fairly small to me, I'm guessing the sound is missing completely (how to
check?)

What do I have to do to my backend to get it to record 5.1 sound(ac3)
properly?

My backend:
Debian Sarge
PCHDTV-2000 ATSC tuner using DVB driver from kernel 2.6.15
(kernel 2.6.15)
no sound card (it's a backend)

All help appreciated!

thanks