[mythtv-users] Replacing MythTV remote... anyone have any experience with RS 15-2136 (or 15-2137?)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 17:27:43 UTC 2006

--- Kevin Venkiteswaran <kkvenkit at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have read that the buttons that will illuminate
> on
> > the Kameleon remotes are fixed according to the
> device
> > map in ROM (that is, if you program in a TV, then
> only
> > the buttons for that TV will light up).  If you
> use
> > JP1 to write new data into the remote (to enable
> > disabled buttons), then supposedly the newly
> enabled
> > buttons still won't light up.
>
> I can tell you that the buttons that light up are
> dependent on the
> device you program it for. I've never tried JP1 with
> the remote though.
>

> > If you program a disabled button with an EFC, will
> it
> > light up (where previously it wouldn't because it
> was
> > disabled)?
>
> You can only program buttons that already light up.
> This is still
> advantageous as some buttons send the same IR codes
> (again, the exact
> code sent for each button is dependent on what
> device you program the
> remote for).
>
> These limitations aren't really a concern if you
> have a "universal" IR
> receiver. This allows you to program the remote
> (with this remote it
> really means programming each device the remote can
> control) to a device
> which "turns on" all the buttons. Then for any
> button that sends a
> duplicate IR code you can use EFC to make it unique.
> You can then use
> the power of lirc to map each IR code to whatever
> function you want.
>
> Note: I say universal IR receiver b/c I don't
> believe any RC5 (or
> whatever codeset the Hauppauge cards support)
> compatible device the
> Kameleon supports turns on all the buttons. Thus
> your IR receiver must
> be able to receive whatever codes the Kameleon sends
> when programmed to
> a device that turns on all the buttons.
>
> Hope I've helped more than I've confused!
>
> Cheers
> Kev

With my experience with other OFA/UEC remotes, you can
map an EFC (Extended Function Code) to any button on
the remote, in any mode.  My URC-6131 (which I
currently use) doesn't program every button in RC-5
mode (using VCR code 0081), so I programmed the
buttons that didn't send anything using a special
OFA/UEC code (no JP1 required).  These buttons then
send a code that the Hauppauge receiver can
understand.

I would assume that the Kameleon allows for the same
thing (after all, it's a high-ish end OFA remote), but
it seems from what you're telling me that even if a
button is programmed with an EFC, it won't light up.

Guess the Kameleon remote is off my list of future
remotes.

-- Joe