[mythtv-users] LIRC Problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 17 17:37:18 UTC 2006

> This was installed from an rpm package. I don't know if it was
> compiled with the correct driver (pixelview_pro in my case). The
> card is a bttv bt878 model and was installed as per instructions by
> Jerod. He indeed mentioned in his guide that his intructions might
> not work for some video capture cards.

I would guess that the RPM you are using is a "generic" package that
does not have the i2c support compiled in, this would explain the
problems you are having (although there are other possible
explanations).

Your options are to get the source (possibly from an SRPM) and
compile it yourself using the correct parameters.

Try and get an RPM from somebody who has used it successfully for
your type of remote.

You could also possibly get a serial IR receiver and use that with
the RPM that you have.

I've heard tell that the new kernels can use an IR device as a
keyboard input, I don't know anything more about this but you might
look into it.

In any case, I do not think the binary installation from your present
RPM is going to work for you.