[mythtv-users] Suspend options with mythtv

Chris Rouch chris.rouch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:29:45 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Mark J. Small <msmall at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> On January 11, 2006 03:51 pm, James C. Dastrup wrote:
> > >HI everybody,
> > >
> > >I've been thinking about the things that still bother me about my mythtv
> > >setup, and the worst one is definately boot time on the frontend.  It
> > > takes my P3-733 a couple of minutes to boot fully in to mythtv.
> > >
> > >I was hoping that some sort of hibernation/suspend to disk setup would
> > > help me with this.
> > >
> > >Does anyone out there do this sort of  thing?  Any mythtv related caveats?
> > >How about root over NFS?
> > >
> > >My system has a hard drive that I boot from, and then spin down.  I
> > > suppose I could spin it back up to do the suspend to disk...
> > >
> > >How much faster would a resume be than a full boot?
> > >
> > >Mark
> >
> > I've done this using Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net/) and it works just
> > fine suspending to disk. Definitely speeds up the boot-up process.
> >
> > I haven't been able to get it working with my P3 HT frontend, since it
> > doesn't seem to like SMP, although it's supposed to work.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I was looking at suspend2, but having to unmount my nfs
> root drive first kind of scared me.  Wouldn't that mean I have to stop all of
> the services before suspending, then restart them on resume.  That part takes
> up most of the boot time doesn't it?  Would I gain anything?

I'm using suspend2 on a Epia M10K. At one point it worked flawlessly
and was much faster than a full boot. But in the course of getting
SPDIF and XvMC and lirc working, I've changed something that causes it
to mess up the networking about every other resume. Also mythfrontend
sometimes crashes the first time I try to use it, and I can't use an
ATI wonder remote (with module lirc_atiusb). I don't think this is the
finished article yet (e.g the kernel comes from atrpms-bleeding), so
some rough edges are to be expected.

Regards,

Chris