[mythtv-users] PVR 250

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:19:20 UTC 2006

On 17/01/06, Mike Richardson <doctor at mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:09:00AM +0000, Nick wrote:
> > On 16/01/06, Mike Richardson <doctor at mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > I have a Hauppauge PVR 250 card which I can tune using ptune.pl (I have
> > > generated a list of channel numbers/frequencies which correspond to local TV
> > > channel) but I don't know how to get Mythtv to change channels. Currently
> > > all I get is static and no channel change when I try. As far as I can tell
> > > mythtv doesn't know anything about the configuration specifics of the card.
> > >
> > > Is there a channel config file or database entry which should be populated?
> >
> > The 'channel' table in the database - for tuner based channels, there
> > is a field called 'freqid' which should contain the "channel number"
> > i.e. between 21-69 in the UK. This is the tuning information that
> > MythTV uses internally to tune the PVR card to a channel.
>
> Currently I have the channel table populated with 32 channels as generated
> from a scan of the DVB card. Is there a way to get mythtv to update this
> table with the freqids for the PVR-250 card or should I just update the
> table manually with the correct channel numbers?

Manually for the 5 analogue tuner channels on the PVR-250. I don't
think there is an automated way for this channel information to be
added.

Conceptually, each group of channels from a particular source (e.g.
analogue tuner, direct input into PVR-250, DVB channels) require their
own listings source. In my reply to your listings thread, I noted that
I run the grabbers manually from cron against my sources (I have DVB,
NTL Cable, and analogue). All identical channels must have the same
XMLTV ID if you are using listings from Radio Times (and DVB copies
must not use the EPG)

> I'm keen to try to do as much as possible 'by the book', despite having
> spent a fair amount of time hacking around with the database out of
> curiosity.

Make sure you backup the DB before any editing - there's nothing worse
than spending days configuring a working system with a lot of manual
editing and then losing the whole lot ...

Nick