[mythtv-users] mythvideo plugin on xbox - controls don't work

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 17 20:15:46 UTC 2006

On 01/16/06 21:22, Keith Hanlan wrote:

>Michael Dean wrote:
>

>>that's lircmd, the LIRC mouse daemon, which is configured in X
>>(see section "Configuring lircmd (the LIRC mouse daemon)" in
>>http://www.lirc.org/html/configure.html ) and has nothing to do
>>with MPlayer, so your postulate, "I know that mplayer is using
>>lirc because..." is invalid.  Note, also, that if you use the
>>cursor buttons for the mouse, you cannot use them for other
>>functions (not reliably, at least).
>>

>Ahhh! Another penny drops. It seems reasonable that I would want
>to keep lircmd running though. As a test though, I'll see what
>happens when I disable it.

You won't be able to use your remote as a mouse--it will work more like
a keyboard (in that you won't affect the location of the X cursor or be
able to send mouse button presses ).  Since Myth doesn't use the mouse,
I would suggest that the mouse is useless on a Myth remote, so you may
actually want to disable it so you can use those buttons for Myth
(otherwise, you're wasting at least 5 buttons--four for
up/right/down/left and one for the "left" mouse button--possibly more if
you have "up-right," etc. and a "right" mouse button).

>>Actually, LIRC receives a button press and transmits a string to
>>*all* registered LIRC clients as configured in the .lircrc.  So,
>>if you've mapped the play button to "P" for Myth and to "play"
>>for MPlayer, when you press play, LIRC sends "P" to Myth and
>>"play" to MPlayer.  It is up to the application to know when to
>>ignore the button press.  Myth begins ignoring the button
>>presses when you start a video from MythVideo.
>>

>That's Interesting. Does X begin ignoring input received from
>lircmd when mythtv starts?

No.  That's what I mean by, "If you use the cursor buttons for the
mouse, you cannot use them for other functions (not reliably, at
least)."  Since X always uses the mouse events from lircmd, if you try
using the buttons with lircmd and lircd, you'll be moving the
cursor--even when you don't want to--which may cause focus problems
(assuming LIRC even lets you map it both ways).

> Or does mythtv somehow direct lircmd to
>stop messing around with the cursor?

Nope.

>I assume that Myth doesn't begin ignoring input from lirc if one
>uses the "Internal" player though. Am I right?

Correct.  Thanks for calling me on that one.  I always forget about the
Internal player.

>>Let it keep using the default one in /etc/mplayer/input.conf
>>(i.e.  don't put one in ~/.mplayer).
>>
>That contradicts the mplayer man page which states:
>   "The default configuration file for the input system is
>    ~/.mplayer/input.conf but it can be overriden using the -input
>    conf option."
>and the file itself has a comment
>   "## The file should be placed in the $HOME/.mplayer directory."

By "default", I mean the default (non-customized) one that's installed
by the MPlayer installation scripts.  However, the man page means the
file that is used first--allowing you to override the one installed by
the MPlayer installation scripts with a customized version.

>Either way though, it doesn't seem to matter. I'll reconfirm
>though by explicitly adding the -input option to the mythvideo
>player configuration.

Right.  That's what I was trying to say: it doesn't matter (because
you're not using a customized version).

Mike

BTW, several e-mails responding to individual posts is probably better
than consolidating several e-mails into one because consolidation makes
it very difficult for others to understand attributions.  For example,
it's hard for someone to understand which parts of your e-mail were
attributed to Kevin and which were attributed to me.  If I were (more)
obsessive-compulsive, I might be offended that your e-mail makes it look
like I said, "No, LIRC receives IR button presses and changes them into
mplayer functions based on the configuration you specify in your
~/.lircrc file," because I would never have (consciously) used the word
"function"--I would have said "string" because it is not a "command" (as
you said) that's executed and it's not a "function" that does some work
and returns a value.  However, since Kevin seems to have meant
"function" as "a name to describe some functionality," and was correctly
pointing out that getting the wrong one
(string/function/command--whatever you want to call it) means you have a
problem in your .lircrc, I'll let it slide.  ;)