[mythtv-users] mythlcd

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Jan 18 09:37:39 UTC 2006

> Where could I moer information about mythlcd and what it shows ?
> Does it show clock when you watch TV or dvd ? Or can you configure it
> easily
> ?
>
> On 1/2/06, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>

>> > Hello List,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to use mythlcd with the stable 0.18.1 code ?
>> >
>> > I don't want to run the CVS version if possible
>> >

>> Any reason you particularly want the seperate task driving the LCD?
>> 0.18.1
>> will already talk to an LCD device through LCDproc - its just that the
>> SVN
>> code has factored out a lot of the LCD stuff to make it easier to
>> support
>> and to add new features (like better operation with MythMusic).
>>
>> Tick the check box on the last 'appearance' setup screen to enable the
>> LCD
>> stuff and select the items you want displaying...

The easiest way to see what it does is to try it - fortunately you don't
need an LCD for testing!!

Install lcdproc and set up the ncurses driver. Set the size to what you
would expect to use on a real LCD (mine is 2 lines of 20 for example) and
run up LCDd on a seperate virtual screen before you start up mythfrontend.
In Mythfrontend, go into setup/appearance and select the things you want
to be displayed. I think you have to restart the frontend to it to work...

You'll see displayed (including all the scrolling etc) everything you can
expect to see on a real LCD.

Very handy for debugging this method is, as I found when the display I
bought wouldn't run directly off the 3.3volt printer port on an Epia
SP13000 (even with pullup resistors) such that I had to put in voltage
shifting buffers. When I was at last convinced that the software DID work
I debugged the hardware and sorted it!!

--
Robin Gilks zl3rob/g8ecj
Internet: g8ecj at gilks.org    http://www.gilks.org