[mythtv-users] XP2100 outperforms my P4-3.2Ghz

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed Jan 18 17:33:29 UTC 2006

>>AMD XP2100 proc
>>Nvidia FX5200
>>Fedora Core 3
>>2.6.10 kernel
>>Hauppauge PVR250
>>
>>P4 3.2Ghz proc
>>ATI X300
>>Fedora Core 4
>>2.6.14-SMP kernel
>>Hauppauge PVR250
>>
>Where you using the Nvidia drivers for the XP2100?  I would bet the driver off-loaded
>some of the playback to the video card.  I would try the FX5200 in the new system with
>the Nvidia dirvers and see what >happens.
>
>Jeff

Even with the offloading that Nvidia drivers do, there is obvisouly some sort of problem
here.  I have a P4 3.0 with an ATI 9600 (AGP) and I don't experience any prebuffering
pauses or stuttering, and my CPU will hang around 70% during 1080i content.

I also have another frontend with a P4 2.26 and an ATI 9600.  This also handles 1080i
pretty well, with only minor stuttering when the video first starts and CPU about 90%.