[mythtv-users] Looking for high WAF in-wall speakers!!

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:21:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 15:09, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Wow, great stuff.  I like the link you included.
>
> To answer the you're whipped... and, you should do what sounds best...
> arguments.  Let me say that I agree with her "ahem" (I don't think the
> following word is appropriate for her, but here goes) Logic.  I have
> never owned a surround system.  Just about anything I do is going to
> sound better than the speakers built into the plasma.  I'm just seeing
> the opportunity to step it up a notch as I am currently installing the
> crown molding.  (I didn't think of doing this while I had the sheet rock
> crew in replacing the popcorn ceilings with flat.)  I'm looking for an
> improvement not a pinnacle.  This is not the right room in the house for
> a home theater.  I have one of those.  I'll be investing in it later.  I
> want this space to look great and function for general TV viewing.  The
> quality sound for this space will be coming from a baby grand player
> piano.  The TV viewing is less of a feature.  My wife is an excellent
> decorator and I trust her.
>
> So, with that said, I'm shooting for the $1000 for all 5 and a sub
> range.  The greatest challenge is that there is no back wall or right
> wall to this viewing space.  You can see what I'm talking about on my
> flickr page.  The TV is going above the fireplace.
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/61454844/
> http://flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/61454250/
> http://flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/61454890/
> that bare column stands at what used to be the corner of a separate
> room, seen in these before shots:
> http://flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/56052452/
> http://flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/56052494/
>
> The issue of not having a back wall (cause it's open to the kitchen)
> makes me think that speakers in the walls or in the ceiling will be hard
> to point toward the viewing space.  Suggestions?
>
> Meatwad wrote:
> > Richard Bronosky wrote:
> >> Why is it that Bose can use those tiny little cube speakers for there
> >> flag ship product, but their in-wall speakers have to have a 8 3/4" by
> >> 6" face plate?
> >
> > Bose use tiny little cube speakers in their flagship product because a)
> > they have a very high WAF, b)they are INSANELY inexpensive to
> > manufacture and c)they are marketed towards upscale consumers who read
> > high-brow magazines without bothering to learn even the most basic
> > tenets* of proper loudspeaker design.
> >
> > Don't know why they took a traditional design approach to their in-walls
> > seeing as nearly everything else they design is non-traditional. FWIW,
> > they still sound absolutely awful.
> >
> > In-walls can sound fantastic when designed well with quality components.
> > Look at Sonance, RBH, Polk or Niles just to name a few of the entry
> > level players. If your budget allows and you want to get very accurate
> > sound from in-ceiling speakers, look at Triad. Another in-wall/ceiling
> > which has a very different approach with some amazingly detailed imagery
> [...]

if you can live with regular ol' speakers I'd recommend the Energy Take 5 (or
whatever the new set they replaced the Take 5 with) or Paradigm's Cinema
series. They all consist of small satelite speakers with a subwoofer and
sound excellent. My dad has the Energy Take 5 and I was blown away by how
good it sounds for the price and size. They have great staging and depth,
something I was not expecting from them.

--
Steve