[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: receiver input buzzing/humming

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 00:55:06 UTC 2006

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>     > Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 23:20:40 -0600
>     > From: Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com>
>
> All excellent points!  Only one question:
>
>     > - If same circuit is not possible, try moving all HT equipment to
>     > circuits fed from the same side of the panel if you have 120Vac mains.
>
> Are you trying to say, "put everything on the same phase if you have
> two-phase service"?  If not, I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
> If so, then that isn't necessarily how to do it, since most residential
> two-phase panels actually have alternating phase going -down- the box,
> e.g., if you have two rows of breakers, the phases are most likely to be:
>
>         A       A
>         B       B
>         A       A
>         B       B

<snip>

Sorry for the confusion. Electricians understand 'side' to mean the same
'leg' of service, not physical location in the panel. Forgot for a
moment that we're all not electricians =)

To clarify by using your diagram, the recommendation is to have it all
on A or all on B.

To further clatrify, we do not use two-phase power in the US for
residential use. Only single and - rarely - three phase systems. It is
confusing but that the way it is. In a nutshell, sending two legs of
power from the transformer on the pole, each 180 degrees out of phase
with each other, into the home is still single-phase. Just two legs of
it in a very efficient manner.