[mythtv-users] widescreen from pvr-350

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 02:30:29 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 20:32, Curtis Preston wrote:
> [...]

or a video card with DVI and component output. The advantage of the VGA
converter is that its guaranteed to work and be easy to setup, they're just
more expensive than a new Nvidia card with component output with a dedicated
HDTV tuner chip (so you use the tv-out functions and just set it to "HDTV").

> Read this link about how to use powerstrip to get custom resolutions on
> your HDTV TV.  Yes, it involves temporarily loading Windows on your
> system, but TRUST ME, it's worth it.  Once you use powerstrip to get
> everything beautimus, hit the copy to clipboard button and paste into
> notepad.  Voila!  There's your linux settings!

no need, just look at the X log file, both the NVidia and ATI drivers will
print out the EDID settings received from your TV. Then use one of the
plethora of web-based X config utils to create the modeline.

> His method only works if you can easily (dynamically) unplug your
> computer from your regular monitor and plug it into the HDTV, then plug
> it back into your monitor if something screws up.  The problem with
> doing this with DVI (at least the problem I had) is that you can't do
> this with DVI.  I've got a geforce fx 5200 with dvi, vga, and svideo.
> When I boot up with the HDTV connected to the dvi output, I can't get a
> signal out of the vga output, and vice versa.  That makes the really
> good procedure above not possible.

If your card doesn't do Component output, just run the svideo to the TV for
the command line and DVI for X, thats how I have mine setup. you'll need to
boot without the DVI connected, but once everything is going you won't need
to do this as you can do everything else form a ssh terminal.
If it does do component, then run the VGA to your monitor and the component
output to your TV.

> (That is, unless someone can tell me how to configure the box so I can
> display DVI & VGA at the same time.  Then, when I tweak something on the
> DVI side and freak out the TV, I can still see things on my monitor.)

twinview, DVI as the main screen.

--
Steve