[mythtv-users] AC3 and/or S/PDIF (again)

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Thu Jan 19 10:31:00 UTC 2006

> On 1/19/06, Adam Propeck <adam at propeck.com> wrote:
>> I'm having something similar that's driving me batty. I tried to switch
>> /dev/adsp for my sound device, but it can't initialize audio when I do
>> that.
>> If I keep /dev/dsp as the sound device and enable passthrough, I get
>> horrible noises eminating from my receiver. I've got a Sound Blaster
>> Audigy
>> 2 and I'm going from 1/8" phono plug to RCA to my receiver's Coax
>> digital
>> input. I've successfully used this method from my Windows computer in
>> the
>> past to send digital audio. What am I doing wrong?
>>

>> On 1/18/06, William Lewis <minutemaidpark at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is a new one for me...
>> >
>> > I am running subversion from yesterday, and I cannot for the life of
>> me
>> get
>> > S/PDIF to send a 5.1 signal to my receiver.  Xine works fine.  Mplayer
>> works
>> > fine with Myth recordings.  But Myth does strange things.  When I
>> start a
>> > program, it may stutter then go out for ten seconds then start back up
>> for
>> > couple of seconds.  If I turn off AC3 pass through, then everything
>> works
>> > fine, but it's only two channel sound.  Any help would be most
>> appreciated,
>> > because this is driving me insane.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance, and I'd be more than happy to provide more
>> information
>> if
>> > it will help.
>> > Will Lewis

> To both of you, when I finally broke down and used Myth's internal
> alsa controls, everything went smooth from there.  My Audio Output
> Device is:
> ALSA:default
>
> You can use something similar, maybe ALSA:spdif

Does this mean that we no longer need a ~/.asoundrc?

I never did get igital out working as it was intended, have posted both
here and on the alsa mailing list, but nobody had anything to say about
spdif out only working using the analog settings (as per digital sound
howto), and yes, I double checked my devices (nforce 4).

Marius