[mythtv-users] widescreen from pvr-350

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:04:50 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> VGA shouldn't require any new hardware because your TV should have a VGA
> connection and your Myth box should have a video card.  You can still
> use your PVR-350 for recording and not for display (and, you won't even
> need to load the framebuffer module that way)--I've been doing that
> since about a week after I bought my PVR-350 and realized I just wasted
> a bunch of money on a PVR-350 instead of a PVR-250 (the 150's weren't
> even announced back then)...

 It will require new hardware, because my mythbox is running on a mobo
with a sodered on VIA 800 mhz chip.  That CPU can't handle the
playback at all, so I would need a beefier CPU and at the very least,
a $50 video card and $100 VGA-> component adapter.  I realize that it
will make it a lot nicer, but if I am going to go down that route, I
would just as well spend the money getting a new mobo with digital
audio out and on board video to be able to fully use the myth
functionality.  Either way, I would be looking at spending around
$300, which is not something I want to do just to have a widescreen
theme.