[mythtv-users] Bitrate oddity

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:40:17 UTC 2006

On 19/01/06, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
> Still looking for suggestions on easy ways to either reencode what
> I've already got at slightly lower rates, or to cut it in ways that
> will not be too difficult..

For cutting that works, I always recommend ProjectX, a Java app.
However there is a lot of work going on to get exporting/transcoding
from within MythTV working without the associated audio sync problems
that can occur.

To simply reduce the size of an MPEG2 file, you can use tcrequant to
requantise the video stream without having to reencode the whole
thing. It's very useful if your recording is slightly too big to
author to DVD, as it takes only a few minutes to work its magic,
whereas reencoding could take a long time. tcrequant is part of the
transcode project/package.

Nick