[mythtv-users] Simple kernel upgrade question

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jan 20 01:20:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:52:30PM -0500, Michael Haan wrote:

> > You need to enable the development repo. Can be done via a config
> > file change (in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo), but not
> > recommended. I'd use:
> >
> > # yum --enablerepo=development install kernel
> >
> > That only enables the development repo for that calling of yum.

you don't need to go that far for 2.6.15. It has already been packaged
up for FC4 in updates-testing some weeks ago, e.g.

http://dl.atrpms.net/fc4-i386/redhat/RPMS.updates-testing/kernel-2.6.15-1.1824_FC4.i686.rpm

It's better to use that kernel than rawhide's.

> > Note that Axel isn't packaging up kernel modules for every single
> > development kernel though, since there's typically at least one
> > new kernel per day, but he is starting to roll packages for what
> > will be FC5.

Correct. I did add an updates-testing kernel to FC4's buildsystem, but
2.6.15 breaks a lot of stuff, so I removed it and focus on FC5 and
getting the kmlds built for it. It looks quite OK for now, and FC4
might get the 2.6.15 kernel sooner than FC5 will get released. Let's
see.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net