[mythtv-users] Mythtv on Debian - is it dead?

drbob drbob at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jan 21 00:05:49 UTC 2006

drbob wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll try compiling from source. I
>don't want to disturb the sarge setup more than necessary.

Well I've just compiled myth on my backend from the 0.18.1 tarball.
After a bit of basic setup (lvm creation on my 200gb drive for video,
custom kernel to support my dvb-t card) and a few false starts (I
installed the lame and qt3 binary packages but not the -dev versions),
the compile completed without errors.

 I can run myth-setup via x-forwarding to my windows machine (the
backend is headless). Just need to get my roof aerial fixed (it died a
few days ago) and I'll be able to confirm that all works as intended
:-). All the dependencies are available from either the official sarge
repository or from marillat. I really don't understand why there isn't a
sarge package, is it just a question of time needed to produce it?

Does the mythtv user need to be a member of any specific group on
Debian? It's not mentioned in the docs.

For initial testing I'll use knoppmyth for the frontend, is the
0.18.2svn in the latest version compatible with a 0.18.1 backend?

regards,

drbob