[mythtv-users] Simple kernel upgrade question

mrwester mrwester at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 22:44:48 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > this to the linux-dvb list.  They've been pretty supportive during my
> > > efforts.  I remember seeing something like that once during the
> > > install/reinstall process I was going through while trying to get the 3 ivtv
> > > based tuners playing nice with the DViCO Fusion HDTV 5 lite...  Did you do
> > > the make distclean step?
> > >
> > > Mike

> > I believe this is the relevant dmesg info:
> >
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_codes_avermedia
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_codes_apac_viewcomp
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_codes_avermedia_dvbt
> > bttv: Unknown symbol v4l_printk_ioctl
> > bttv: disagrees about version of symbol btcx_riscmem_alloc
> > bttv: Unknown symbol btcx_riscmem_alloc
> > bttv: disagrees about version of symbol btcx_riscmem_free
> > bttv: Unknown symbol btcx_riscmem_free
> > bttv: disagrees about version of symbol ir_input_init
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_input_init
> > bttv: disagrees about version of symbol ir_input_nokey
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_input_nokey
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_codes_nebula
> > bttv: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> > bttv: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> > bttv: disagrees about version of symbol ir_input_keydown
> > bttv: Unknown symbol ir_input_keydown
> > bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_read_gpio
> > bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_write_gpio
> > bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_gpio_enable
> > dst: Unknown symbol bt878_device_control
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol write_dst
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol dst_pio_disable
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol dst_comm_init
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol read_dst
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol dst_check_sum
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol dst_error_bailout
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol dst_wait_dst_ready
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol rdc_reset_state
> > dst_ca: Unknown symbol dst_error_recovery
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmxdev_init
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_dmxdev_init
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol mt352_attach
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol mt352_attach
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bt878_num
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bttv_sub_unregister
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dst_attach
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bttv_write_gpio
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmx_swfilter_204
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_dmx_swfilter_204
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bttv_sub_register
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmx_release
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_dmx_release
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bttv_get_pcidev
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_net_init
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_net_init
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmx_swfilter
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_dmx_swfilter
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_dmxdev_release
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_dmxdev_release
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dst_ca_attach
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bt878_start
> > dvb_bt8xx: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_net_release
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol dvb_net_release
> > dvb_bt8xx: Unknown symbol bttv_gpio_enable
> [...]

To me it looks like there's somewhere some incompatibility of some module
versions.  Just a guess, but you may have more than 1 version of the dvb/v4l
modules installed- ie- the original kernel modules as well as the patched
modules installed from cvs and they're not cooperating. Some googling,
searching and/or posting to the v4l-dvb list should point you in the right
direction.   As a note, installing the FusionHDTV 5 lite in this manner
broke my ivtv installs, look for a thread regarding ivtv and dvb in same box
in the mythtv and/or ivtv archives, it describes a few workarounds.  I ended
up using ivtv 0.4.1 from Axel's rpms and commenting out the tveeprom-ivtv
alias line in modprobe.conf which allows all to work together fine.
However,  a post to that thread this morning suggested that doing what you
initially wanted to do- install 2.6.15 kernel and then ivtv resulted in a
working system as well...
good luck,  Mike