[mythtv-users] Miserable time installing Mythtv

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 20 20:50:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:30:01PM -0500, Maverick wrote:
> > > $ rpm -q --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*
> > > package *myth* is not installed
> >
> > Aw, crap, missed an option there. Should have been:
> >
> > rpm -qa --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*
>
> That worked a little better,
>
> # rpm -qa --qf='%{name}.%{arch}\n' \*myth\*
> libmyth.i386
> mythtv-theme-MediaCenter.noarch
> mythnews.i386
> mythtv-backend.i386
> mythweb.noarch
> mythtv.i386
> mythtv-theme-MediaCenterOSD.noarch
> mythweather.i386
> mythtv-themes.i386
> mythtv-setup.i386
> mythphone.i386
> mythtv-frontend.i386
>
> So, I gather I just installed i386 stuff...

Yup.

> > > so, uh, I think I installed i686 versions. I was just hoping yum
> > > install myth-suite would just pull in everything to get a 'complete'
> > > mythtv package... Oh well. It'll probably stay just the way it is for
> > > the rest of eternity, or until there's a compelling new version of
> > > MythTV.
> >
> > You *might* be okay with just a yum install mythtv-suite...
>
> I might try it this weekend... if nothing important is scheduled to record. :)

Won't work, since you've got the 32-bit versions. You'll have to rpm -e all the 32-bit pieces first, then a yum install mythtv-suite will work fine.

> > > Even though I consider myself a competent user, been using SCO
> > > (*work related, snicker-boo-hiss if you will*) for years
> >
> > I've had the displeasure of dealing with OSR5 for work-related
> > reasons too. :)
>
> My sympathy. The good news is SCO is on the fast track to death.

Yeah, I hope to never touch it ever again. Felt very dirty while working on it, both because of SCO and because of the sheer craptitude (though it was a lot better adding a good  number of skunkware packages).

> > > and Linux
> > > for years longer. The fact is, if I blow up our now working mythbox,
> > > in any way shape or form, my girlfriend will have my head.
> >
> > Heh.
>
> Really, I think it's just all the reruns of Sex in the City, Dawsons
> Creek, X-Files, etc. that if she missed a single one... well... you
> know the rest. =) When I finally took the time to get my mythbox
> working again, she was so excited you would have thought I brought a
> cute puppy home. It's only been about a month, and the hard drive is
> full. DOH.

Only one hard drive?!? :p

(Check out some of JPP's posts about Project Grayhem, where you can see evidence of his ~3TB of storage in the screenshots... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com